5 Wedding Cakes for 2017 That Are Most on Trend
Wedding cakes are often considered to be one of the highlights of a wedding celebration, especially since they come in a wide variety of colors, styles and flavors and guests never know what to expect. While it may not be the most important part of your wedding, your wedding cake is definitely a very important detail–and centerpiece–for your reception. Unfortunately, it can also be an incredibly difficult detail to nail down, unless you know where, and how, to start looking.
Most Popular Wedding Cakes of 2017
You may have decided that you want a beautiful, elegant cake that perfectly complements your wedding theme and colors, but once you start searching the internet and catalogs for the best wedding cakes and the most popular wedding cake flavors, you will likely be overwhelmed by tons of pictures of wedding cakes, all of them in completely different styles and colors. Fortunately, we are here to help–by narrowing the field.
When you feel overwhelmed by too many different choices, it’s helpful to narrow your choices down into several, carefully-selected categories. This is no less true with wedding cakes. Consider the following most popular wedding cakes for 2017:
- The Naked Wedding Cake. Rather than covering your wedding cake with fondant, considering allowing it to shine forth in all of its buttercream-covered sponge cake glory. The naked cake has actually become increasingly popular over the past few years, as it allows you to create an elegant, understated look for your wedding. Most naked cakes simply have fresh flower or fruit decorations that further emphasize the cake’s beautiful simplicity.
- The Ombre Wedding Cake. Ombre wedding cakes, in wedding colors, have become more popular in recent years. The ombre effect is achieved when you gradually blend one color hue to another, allowing for a gentle fading of darker shades on the bottom of the cake to lighter shades on the top. An ombre wedding cake can be finished with simple, tasteful details such as fresh flowers or other decorative touches, and is a wonderful way to add color to your reception, without going overboard.
- The Personalized Wedding Cake. You have worked hard to design a wedding that is uniquely personalized to you and your fiancé’s specific tastes–why not carry this through with your wedding cake? Your wedding cake can be personalized in theme or design so that it reflects your relationship, such as a cake upon which carefully-selected photographs are projected or a cake that carries your name or personalized monogram.
- The Metallic Wedding Cake. Tastefully done, a metallic wedding cake can add a touch of elegance and class to your wedding. Whether you prefer just a hint of glitter or a rich luster, there are many options when it comes to selecting a metallic wedding cake. You may choose stenciled metallic details or full metallic tiers in a variety of shades and designs, or a beautiful combination of the two, and create a beautiful, shimmering wedding cake that will surely catch everyone’s eye.
- The Lace Wedding Cake. While decorative lace detailing on a wedding cake is always classy and elegant, there has been a new trend in specifically incorporating designs found on the bride’s wedding dress or on the bridesmaids’ dresses. Not only does this create a tastefully decorated wedding cake, but it also allows one to match an important wedding texture, thereby furthering your wedding theme.
In addition to these popular wedding cake designs, there has been an increasing trend in creating more diversity in wedding desserts, specifically by having smaller tiered wedding cakes along with wedding dessert tables. In this way, you will be able to not only enjoy a beautiful, classic wedding cake, but you can also enjoy a delicious variety of desserts such as cupcakes, cookies, cake pops and macaroons. Some couples even provide little favor boxes for their guests so they can select and take home a special wedding dessert. By narrowing your options and taking the time to carefully consider them, you can rest assured that you will be able to select the perfect wedding cake to complement your special day.